[geeks] Showing values used by a jvm - I am not getting something

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 15:49:36 CST 2013

For years, I guess, when I wanted to know at a glance the min/max
values assigned to a particular java process I 'ps -ef | grep java'

# ps -ef | grep java
srvcuser 14792     1  0 10:02 ?        00:00:19
/opt/edi/app3.3.0/jre/bin/java -server -Xms64m -Xmx1024m

And there it is.

However, I've an application, and it's got some really nifty shell
scripts setting up the environment.  Directions from the vendor were
to edit _this_ value in _that_ file and restart.

And where I've edited the Xmx value from 1024 to 2048 in the
.properties file I looked at the process again ...

# ps -ef | grep java
srvcbizm 14792     1  0 13:59 ?        00:00:19
/opt/edi/app3.3.0/jre/bin/java -server -Xms64m -Xmx1024m

The vendor replied 'you did what I told you to do, now go see if you
get that exception error again'.

I want to cry BS because you have not _changed_ anything, but ... I
don't know everything.  Is using process status actually _not_ the
right way to see at a glance what variables java is running?  Is there
something going here that I don't know about?

--
Brian Dunbar

"Display some adaptability"