[geeks] fax from Solaris and/or Linux?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Dec 16 03:21:48 CST 2013

> Does anybody have a setup where they can send and receive faxes
> directly from their computer as in not using a printer/fax/scanner?

I don't, but once did and could again.

> It seems like sending ought to be possible using a USB modem but I
> don't know about receiving.  Any pointers to known-good apps,
> devices, etc for Solaris and/or Linux would be appreciated!

My "once did" above was that I had a fax modem on a serial port.  I
drove it with efax.  My records show that I got efax from
sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/apps/serialcomm/fax/efax09beta.tar.gz;
even if that was correct, I don't know whether it's still there.  My
notes don't say what protocol, but it was 1999, so probably FTP.  I
certainly wouldn't mind making the distribution I have available if
anyone wants.  efax identified my modem as "V2.083-K56_2M_DLS ROCKWELL
AC/K56"; I no longer recall what the box was branded as, though I
should have it somewhere in my pile of not-yet-sorted just-moved stuff.

As for now, I no longer have POTS phone service, so I don't use the
POTS fax modem any longer.  I work for, among others, a company that
does VoI telephony, and one of the services we offer is incoming faxes
converted to email.  There's a machine running asterisk which
implements a fax modem in host software; of course, the resulting fax
data can then be sliced and diced in any way we care to bother
implementing.  I'm fairly sure it's capable of doing sending as well,
though we don't take advantage of that if so.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org