[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 slow death (video)

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 11:56:26 CST 2013

I would also say you won't be disappointed in the performance of a new Mini
coming from an original Mac Pro.  I bought the base model 2.3Ghz Mini quad
core when it came out, upgraded the RAM to 16GB and replaced the HD with a
256GB SSD and it's been great. Externally I have three USB 3.0 enclosures,
one with a 750GB drive dedicated to Aperture, one with a 2TB drive
dedicated to Media (iTunes Library, Video, etc.), and a 3TB drive for Time
Machine backups.  I have a 7-port USB 3.0 hub that everything else connects
to (flatbed scanner, document scanner, Leap Motion, ergo keyboard, mouse,
Huey Pro, Blu-Ray burner, etc.)  I've got a single 2560x1440 display hooked
up, an ASUS PB278Q, and the Intel graphics drive it well (a lot better than
previous Minis did driving smaller monitors).

Of course, if you want a lot of performance, you could buy one of the new
Mac Pros when they ship (which is soon).

- Nate