[geeks] Enterprise SATA hard drive recommendations

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Dec 4 13:43:53 CST 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:31:47PM +0000, Google wrote:
>I fear WD Reds are a little too consumer oriented for production server usage,
>WD do a whole tier of drives above that out of which the Re series are the
>most robust (apparently) and are available in SATA.

I run 1TB WD RE3s for the main drives in ohno.mrbill.net, because I can
get them for ~$50 each.  That's good so I can have hot spares (and cold
spares), as I tend to lose one or two drives a year.

However, this is a much much lower failure rate with the RE3s than any
other disks I've tried - have also used Seagate and Fujitsu in this
system, and when they failed I moved to the RE3s.

Everything else (my NAS, other personal boxes, etc) is WD Reds.
Haven't had a Red failure yet.

BTW, a lot of the NetApp drives we get in for replacements at work are
WD Blacks (they've got the WD label on them) with NetApp firmware.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas USA