[geeks] Cheap/reliable backup?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Dec 3 00:59:57 CST 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 03:22:37PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I was thinking primarily of defined subset backups, say the 10-15 Gigs of new
> data per month on it 'a own disc...

rsync is certainly very good at that. When I solved Mouse's (1) scenario
(oops, deleted a file) I was able to recover from incremental backups.

In the scenario I'm trying to address the data doesn't grow much. I want to
get a safe baseline and after that I can deal with adding to it. But which
media? That's my main issue, I don't want to keep using disks but rather
something more reliable, if that is even reasonable now.

> Commercial backup software just handles this issue (no different than spanning
> tapes, just a different capacity), I suspect FOSS backup solutions do
> also.

I guess I should look into that. I know about Partimage, it takes a dd-ish
snapshot of Linux and possibly UNIX partitions. I also need twice as much
disk space as I have now, to test whether it actually recovers as advertised
and whether I'm using whatever archive/backup solution I try. And I can't
afford that or I could say I'm just backing up all my data to other disks
and the problem sort of goes away. Sort of.

Does anybody have any particular knowledge of whether BluRay is more
reliable than spinning HD and how long it's supposed to last? I'll look into
that next.

--