[geeks] Cheap/reliable backup?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Dec 2 14:57:06 CST 2013

>>> I think the 'best' solution for most use cases would've a mix of
>>> local disk redundancy and a cloud backup service, [...]
>> If you're considering that, don't forget that it includes giving a
>> copy of your data to someone else - in many cases, to someone in
>> another country with comparatively weak data privacy and protection
>> laws.
> Mouse, you forget who you're talking to ;-)

Heh.  That was in response to Lionel's text, not yours!  And the "you"
of what I wrote was actually not specifically either you or Lionel, but
a putative anyone who's considering saving data in "the cloud".

> I guess I could pipe a dd of an entire drive through gpg and ssh it
> to some backup provider.

If you can find one that accepts ssh rather than "use any major backup
software application" (of course, their idea of "major" includes only
closed-source commercial ones) or "download our backup application".

Though if you just get yourself a VM rather than looking for someone
who specifically sells backup services, that's probably not an issue.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org