[geeks] Cheap/reliable backup?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Mon Dec 2 13:52:28 CST 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 02:34:11PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> The prices I see are just under a dollar a disc for 25 Gigs of storage. That
> compares to about half the cost of a low-end bare SATA drive at
> $35-40/Terabyte.

I would probably have to pay a lot more but it might still be ok since what
I want to do is archive stuff that doesn't change, periodically as I add to
the collection. I really do prefer the idea of BluRay or some kind of
optical media over a mechanical disk but I have no data to "back that up". I
guess it's time to look for some reliability comparisons between HD and
optical instead of just guessing on my part.

> Of course, tossing 40 discs into a burner to backup 1TB is not my idea of fun,
> but for some applications it could be suitable.

Yes, that is one of the main issues. How do you backup a whole drive? Do you
tar up sets of files to equal media capacity, etc. I did it before with DVDs
on a much smaller drive and it was painful.

--