[geeks] Cheap/reliable backup?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 13:00:38 CST 2013

I think the 'best' solution for most use cases would've a mix of local disk
redundancy and a cloud backup service, be it a public provider (like
carbonite.com) or a private/roll-your-own solution (like an Amazon S3-based
storage system).

If you want a 'put a backup on an off-line shelf' solution, I kinda like the
idea of writing 20-25 Gig on a writeable Blu-Ray disc... (I have no idea how
long such discs are readable/archive life).

At $work we back up to a large JBOD with quarterly tapes in a bank vault from
a tape carousel. (Public K-12 school district)

For local backups, USB 2.0 is typically fast enough, USB 3.0 may be needed for
larger/more demanding needs.

I have friends in the Windows small business server market and they typically
use a handful of removable USB drives as if they were tape backups (daily
incrementals, a weekly back up, and an archived monthly/quarterly backup kept
off-site).

Hope that helps,

Lionel