[geeks] USB 3.0 Hub Recommendations

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 04:15:45 CDT 2013

On 17 Aug 2013, at 03:57, Nathan Raymond <nraymond at gmail.com> wrote:

> It does not slow down.  I have five USB 2.0 devices plugged in right now,
and
> one USB 3.0 device (a hard drive dedicated to Time Machine), and
> Blackmagicdesign Disk Speed Test clocks 125MB/sec write, 157MB/sec read
from
> the drive through the hub.

*That's* what I needed to know. Thanks :) I was looking at a Plugable to
replace the USB2.0 one on my desk.

Because of the slightly weird way my Mac Mini is setup it is currently booting
and running off an external USB3.0 256GB SSD-in-a-case. It works just dandy
and even over USB3.0 it's still way faster than the internal drive. The only
minor issue is my USB2.0 hub occasionally crashes the USB bus which locks up
the entire Mac due to losing the boot disk.

It's not an ideal setup but I hadn't got the stomach to crack the Mini open
when I got it new to install the SSD internally. I may do it over the winter
holidays or something though as it's a bit of a pain :)

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo