[geeks] Good Laptop for Small Biz?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:00:44 CDT 2013

It wasn't that long ago that I worked for a company that had several hundred
Access databases running in production - they were used for interactive phone
systems in support of clinical drug trials. For that application and data
volume they were fine - they held about 300-500 Megs of data.

When I left, they were cutting over to SQL Server, but the performance hit for
using SQL Server like Access was a performance killer - the API they used
required the entire database table to be read for each call (as I recall),
they had to re-engineer their software to support the migration.

I prefer Access to Excel - some people use Excel as if it were a database for
simple one-table applications...

Lionel