[geeks] Question: how to profit from a Web-connected server

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Aug 16 15:38:58 CDT 2013

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013, Andrew Jones wrote:

> You don't have to make a net profit.

Depends on when you get in and how.  I was ahead of the game before the
last time I bought hardware, and if today I sold the hardware I bought for
mining, I'd be way ahead.

Historically speaking, if you get in when the hardware bumps significantly
(ie: first GPU miners, first FPGA miners, first ASIC miners), or every few
times it bumps incrementally (faster CPUs, faster ASICs), you'll get ahead
eventually.  But it's no-longer a get-rich-overnight market.

> Bitcoin "mined" at home is untraceable currency usable for black market
> mail order.

And for purchasing services internationally (ie: consulting) without
ridiculous finance charges.

> I imagine most of the bitcoiners just want to convert money/electricity
> into drugs.

I'm sure that some do, but far from "most."

I appreciate being able to get paid without PayPal sucking 3-4% off the
top.  I also appreciate how I can hand out a separate payment address to
each client to help automate accounting on my end.

And, yes, I also appreciate the lack of regulation.  BTC about the only
currency you can send to certain parts of the world thanks to pissing
matches between politicians.

When I sell equipment or my services, I give a discount for people who pay
in Bitcoins, Litecoins, or silver because I appreciate the relative
privacy and have faith in the long-term viability of those commodities.

--
Jonathan Patschke  |  "For a successful technology, reality must take
Elgin, TX          %   precedence over public relations, for nature