[geeks] Question: how to profit from a Web-connected server

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Aug 15 19:46:04 CDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 07:27:08PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>For example, a Bitcoin machine would be one example, are there any others?

The days of being able to have any sort of reasonable return doing
bitcoin mining with the CPU are long gone, and the ASIC market is
rapidly making people's GPU farms unprofitable.

Here's a picture of my "mining rig", taken a couple of hours ago after I
added two more ASIC sticks to the hub:

http://www.mrbill.net/mining.jpg

That's ~9.6Gh/sec of ASICs (and about $725 of hardware at current
prices).  The USB sticks are 333Mh/sec each, and the black cube is a BFL
Jalapeno (7.6Gh/sec) that I ordered nine months ago and was finally
delivered on Monday.

I might make the equivalent of $10/day for the next couple of months
before more waves of even faster ASIC hardware hit the market and make
this stuff not worth the power it uses.

As an example of how fast the mining "community" is moving - just TWO of
the USB sticks give me the same mining power as a PC rig I built 7-8
months ago that used two AMD 5850s, chewed a lot of power, and put out a
lot of heat.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford