[geeks] UNIX development and makefile discussion

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Aug 15 09:51:16 CDT 2013

I decided to compromise for the moment and use one subdirectory for the
application itself and another subdirectory for the tests. I'd like to break
things up further but I can see this is really starting to get complicated
I got recursive make working after looking at some examples. I'm not sure I
could code it from scratch but I understand what it does. I got everything
changed over and it all builds as it should.

Is there no way to specify an object file search path? -L doesn't seem to
work, I guess that is for proper libraries and not object files. Having that
would make things a lot easier. Until then I'm using variables to point to
the right places. I would like to clean this up if possible. Now I am seeing
the value in having everything in one directory and/or using some sort of
cmake/nmake tool. Complexity starts creeping up on you real fast when you
decide to work from more than one subdirectory.