[geeks] UNIX development and makefile discussion

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Wed Aug 14 12:59:12 CDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 01:45:54PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> disclaimer: i'm not a developer.  however, looking over the shoulders
> of developers - some years ago - makes me think at&t nmake may fill
> your bill.  it's smarter than make, esp. about src trees [which iirc
> it was created for] but sounds less ambitious than cmake.
>
> http://www2.research.att.com/~gsf/nmake/nmake.html
> see 'multiple directories'
> http://www2.research.att.com/sw/download/
> pkgs for many systems and architectures, and src - free.
>
> alcatel-lucent also has a fork --
> http://nmake.alcatel-lucent.com/
> http://nmake.alcatel-lucent.com/release/15.html

Thanks for the links. At this point my question(s) are more about how to
organize a UNIX development project than specific makefile issues.  When I
get further along or have more complicated build requirements maybe
automatic makefile generation will become important. Thanks for the
links. I'll keep them for a rainy day!

I'm leaning towards putting everything in one directory since it has the
Mouse Stamp of Approval and it's the easiest way to build and test if not
the most organized. But I'm still interested in hearing everyones' opinions
on UNIX development workflow etc. since I have no history in that environment.

Thanks again to everyone so far.