[geeks] router[s] sought

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Nov 30 19:41:51 CST 2012

On 11/30/12 19:23, John Francini wrote:
>> there is that, though i think it'll be a while before i have any gig
>> gear.  i'm also old enough to have been at bell labs when we got
>> starlan [1mb], and jumping up from 9600 and 56k, we felt we were
>> riding rockets.
>
> Interesting. Nearly everything we have at home is gig gear:

Everything on my internal network is gigabit except the firewall (which
has a QFE and only about 12.5Mbit down/1.5 up) and the 11g router, which
likewise can only manage about 20Mbit of throughput.  (The 11n router is
gigabit, iirc, but it's plugged to one of the QFE ports on the firewall;
then again it's unlikely to ever achieve 100Mbit of real-world
throughput anyway.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.