[geeks] Samsung ARM Chromebook

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:14:07 CDT 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 1:38 PM, Sheldon T. Hall <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> Quoth Bill Bradford ...
>
>> Tablet is more "lying in bed goofing around reading and
>> looking up stuff and playing scrabble".  If I'm doing
>> anything that needs normal text entry, I want to be on a
>> laptop of some sort.
>
> I've got a keyboard/cover for my 10" Galaxy Tab, and the combination makes
> an OK light-duty laptop.  The main drawbacks are that Android requires a
lot
> of screen-poking to select things and locate the cursor, and that the
tablet
> and the Bluetooth keyboard require two different chargers.  The various
> Android apps seem to handle the usual run of stuff I get in e-mail,
> browsing, etc.
>
> The tablet/keyboard is certainly enough of a "solution" to use for a
weekend
> or more, and it's small and light.

That's my iPad/BT keyboard scenario as well; conferences are also another one.
Anything where I might want to looking things up, load pdfs for reading, watch
a movie,  or do some light text work (email, keeping notes, popping into irc).
Versus an active trip where I'll only check Facebook/Twitter--the iPhone is
sufficient for that.

I have a sub-$200 Atom laptop (purchased used) to toss in the motorcycle
saddlebag when I don't want to risk a higher cost piece of equipment on a
motorcycle road trip where I  want to backup photographs or video I've taken
to another device.