[geeks] ZFS on linux anyone?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue May 22 14:52:07 CDT 2012

On 5/22/2012 2:40 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Friday, May 18, 2012, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> I just installed the ZFS on linux kernel drivers on a VM I have
>> laying around.  I got decent performance out of it even though the
>> disk was virtualized.  I ran bonnie on it and saw 50-60Mbytes/second
>> for reads and 30Mbytes/sec writes (not bad on the older hardware I
>> was using it on).  I haven't fully tested it yet, like with
>> snapshots etc. however.
>>
>> Has anyone been using ZFS on Linux for a while?  What do you think of
>> it?  BTRFS will not be ready to go for some time, I think.
>
> That's interesting to hear, because I've been using BTRFS on multiple
> Linux systems for more than a year and a half now, with no problems.

Good to hear that it is working well for you.

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4

It seems that there are still some enhancements that can be made to BTRFS.

Interesting that Chris Mason, who I remember from the Reiser-FS list
when he first got started on Reiser, is the one working on BTRFS;  this
means he has a decent amount of filesystem experience.

However I still am wary of any new filesystem - ZFS at least has 2
working versions (on Solaris and FreeBSD).  But I am about to load up a
system with ZFS on linux and beat on it.

--Patrick