[geeks] Nothing is safe anymore (smartphone division)

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Mar 12 11:52:00 CDT 2012

>> After all, Android _is_ mostly open source, so you could just have
>> it sync up to your machine instead of Google's.

> I would be exceedingly happy to figure out a way to have it sync up
> to a local contacts DB.

Use The Source, Luke.

Android require a fairly high-end machine (well, by my standards) to
rebuild, and it pretty much has to be running Linux (I forget which
distro - I think back when I worked with Android it was on Ubuntu, but
I'm not sure), but aside from those it's not really difficult.
Tedious, but not difficult.  (It gets difficult if you want to actually
do significant work that can't all live above the shiny.  Just changing
where it goes to sync its contacts I wouldn't expect to be all that
hard, though admittedly I haven't tried it - when I was working on
Android, it was nowhere near that code.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org