[geeks] Domain Registrars

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Mar 6 13:13:42 CST 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 07:07:01PM +0000, mail at catsnest.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>wrote:

> > > I recommend Joker.com
> >
> > I second the vote for joker.com, though my personal recommendation would
> > be for gandi.net.  Gandi is one of the very few registrars out there
> > whose terms of service explicitly state that you *OWN* your domain name,
> >
> I did quite like joker.com too they had a nice interface
>
> but i have just moved all mine to internetbs.net they seem to not do .name
> though ;)

Based on joker.com's website, they cannot transfer .name domains either.  Gandi.net can.

Yesterday, before the joker and gandi suggestions came in, i checked hover.com at Mr. Enestvedt's suggestion, and their website could not transfer domains, but since there was a mention that their people were very helpful and i had at that point not found a registrar could transfer a .name, i decided to give them a call to double check.  The phone was immediately answered by a person who was helpful and told me that their website did not allow .name domains, but they could transfer and manage them via phone or email.

Ultimately, I have decided to use Gandi.  Given the positive phone experience, it was a tough call, but I'd rather be able to handle everything online than have to email or call support if i need to change anything with the .name domain.  That may change in the future.  Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

    -Dan Sikorski