[geeks] Opinions - Outdated technologies on Resume

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Jun 19 11:39:57 CDT 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, sammy ominsky wrote:
> On 19/06/2012, at 10:28, Andrew Jones wrote:
>
>> (Employers who demand Word-formatted resumes are, shall we say, not in my
> crosshairs.)
>
> Nice to be able to pick and choose like that, but not everyone is so
> fortunate.

I use groff with -ms macros and store mine in a CVS repo.  From this
file I can output postscript, which I then distill into PDF, ascii text,
and HTML.  The processing is all managed with a Makefile.

This lets me work on the file on my desktop, get it how I want, then
commit the changes, log into the box that hosts my resume on the web,
check out the updates, and run 'make install' to publish the new files
to the website.

I also tell people that want it in Word format to download the ascii.txt
version of the resume and open that in Word.  Not as pretty, but it
does let them stuff it into whatever buzz-word sorter they are using to
filter resumes.

--
Michael Parson
Unix Thug