[geeks] Seagate vendor-unique data?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jan 24 12:16:04 CST 2012

I'm wondering if perchance this august assemblage can help me track
down some Seagate-specific information.

There's a machine under my care which has been reporting errors like

sd0(ahc0:0:0:0):  DEFERRED ERROR, key = 0x9
sd0(ahc0:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x0a 11 22 7f 04 00
    SENSE KEY:  Vendor Unique
   INFO FIELD:  2129439
     ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x80 ASCQ 0x00
     FRU CODE:  0xc3

It's a Seagate ST39173LW, so presumably the vendor-unique stuff is
Seagate-specific.  Is there any hope of finding what the Seagate (or
ST39173LW, if it's device-specific in Seagate's case) meanings of these
bits are?  I somehow doubt that calling up Seagate's public contact
number and asking the receptionist will yield anything useful. :-~

I did a little poking around, but all anyone exports these days is Web
crap, and what little Web searching I managed to do turned up nothing
useful.  (I found two PDF files,
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/scsi/100293068a.pdf
and http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/scsi/67517c.pdf;
perhaps I missed something, but when searching for "vendor" I didn't
find anything useful.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org