[geeks] IBM Intellistation 285?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 08:27:13 CST 2012

I originally sent this to Sridhar, but thought I'd ask others' opinions
too...

How does GBP 199.99 + 59.00 shipping sound for a brand new factory sealed IBM
9111-285 Intellistation Dual 1.9GHz Power 5?

eBay UK item 180792593902

If that second picture is accurate they are still on pallets and really are
factory sealed.

I'm SORELY tempted, it's a UK seller and their feedback looks sound, there's a
phone number on the eBay listing so I might give them a call.

Anything I should know as a Hobbyist about these machines?

Are they noisy (quoted is 5.0 bels or 35 dB 1m away)?

Do they consume masses of power (compared to CPU performance)?

Is it an overkill - or just a lot of computer new for 285 quid?

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson