[geeks] Stupid Electronics Help...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sun Dec 30 20:13:35 CST 2012

Thanks, everyone!

I found a DPDT at Radio Shack which seems to have solved my "crisis"  other
than the fact I mis-read the label and wired it up wrong. I gave up for
tonight and will resume my shenanigans once it gets a tad warmer out.

The whole goal is to add an AUX in to my wife's Volvo. Her Volvo has a fancy
sound system that uses the MOST fiber-optic stuff, so you can't just patch
something in like with typical systems. Using one of the radio/FM
mini-broadcasters is a PITA and the quality is horrid since the car has an
antenna that is integral with the tailgate(!)

Going through my pile of parts I had a spare car audio amplifier. I bought it
years ago at the firesale at Circuit City when they were going bankrupt.

I put together an aux-in 3.5mm port on the dash and ran wires to where the
MOST amp is under the passenger seat. I also ran a 12V switch on the dash and
wired the hot 12V wire to under the seat.

The goal was to have the relay turn off the MOST amp (which is why when the
relay is deactivated that pole should remain closed so operation is normal)
and power on my amp. Then my amp would pump sound to the existing speakers,
splicing into the existing wires to existing speakers. Because my spare amp is
only two channel and I'm powering five channels (LR, RR, LF, RF, and Center
Front) I was planning on using diodes in-line on each channel so that with the
new amp hooked up I don't wind up bridging my entire set of speakers.

My diode idea should work, right?