[geeks] Stupid Electronics Help...

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Dec 30 00:48:25 CST 2012

> You'll see designations in the parts books like SPNC and SPDT.
> Single Pole, Normally Closed, and Single Pole, Dual Throw.

> The SPDT is the one that will do both (or either) normally open or
> closed.

You'll also see things like DPDT, 3PDT, etc.  These will do equally
well for your purposes (they amount to two ("dual") or three or however
many sets of independent contacts).  They will usually be more
expensive than their single counterparts, but if you can find one that
does what you want....  It's a bit like getting a double-throw relay
instead of a normally-closed relay: it's overkill, but can be used for
your purposes.

Of course, as I think someone already pointed out, you do also need to
ensure that the contacts are rated for what you're going to be
controlling.  In some circumstances you might find a solid-state switch
to be a better answer.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org