[geeks] So let's say you wanted something bigger than a Mac Mini...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 10:52:56 CST 2012

On 15 Dec 2012, at 16:33, Andrew Jones wrote:

> Thunderbolt carries a single 4x PCI-E link.  Graphics cards would not be a
great thing to put in a thunderbolt-based expansion chassis. Might be a good
place to stick a SAS/FC HBA, or a 10 gbps NIC.

I kinda thought it was 4x not 8x. That'd suck wit ha good graphics card,
having 1/4 of the usual bandwidth back to the CPU will really bottleneck it.
Also I imagine a lot of graphics cards flat-out refuse to work in a 4x slot. I
know most will work in 8x because some cheaper SLI/CrossFire board have an 1x
x16/2x x8 configuration for the the pair of graphics slots, but 4x I'd imagine
they'd either be horridly slow or not work at all. Not to mention the slots
are physically different too.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: