[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:51:25 CST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's something I've also considered but no Linux = No professional-grade
> photography workflow management software (Aperture or Lightroom,
> basically) so
> I am resisting it. Also where are my Canon RAW drivers for Linux? Oh
> dear...

There is Darktable:

http://www.darktable.org/

and I believe one or two others.

I have to chuckle, btw - you clearly like open standards, but you use a
camera system (Canon) that doesn't embrace them...  One of the reasons I
use Pentax is that while it has a proprietary RAW format (PEF) they've
always supported DNG, and in some of their latest cameras (like the Q) the
only RAW format is DNG.

I've used many computer systems over the years, but I decided to go
cross-platform years ago at home, using a mix of Mac, Windows, Linux, and
BSD, Android and iOS, choosing the best hardware/software for particular
tasks.  Since committing to multiple platforms, the idea of making myself
choose just one feels very restrictive to me (though as a downside I do see
different flaws in all operating systems now, which is depressing because I
think I could create something better than them all, but unfortunately I
don't rub elbows with investors very often...)

- Nate