[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Dec 3 13:59:46 CST 2012

On 3 Dec 2012, at 07:58 AM, Ben Greisler wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2012, at 4:16 AM, Shannon wrote:
>
>> Also the new iMacs are using 2.5" drives. Just saw one torn down today.
>
> To clarify: The 21 inch iMacs use a 2.5 inch drive, but the 27 inch iMacs
use
> a 3.5 inch. My error; I had only checked the 27 inch unit.

Ya, but the 27" is still horrid to repair and upgrade.

Its actually a very capable machine, I'll not deny that, but just having the
display built-in is a show stopper for a lot of people.

What I think Mark and I want is a Mini or maybe slightly larger (it probably
would have to be) that has at least as good a hardware as Apple's midrange.

The iMac is just a show stopper with a built-in display and really "do not
touch" internals.

Also just to be clear: when I said mid range and mentioned minitowers, I don't
mean specifically they should make a typical PC-ish minitower, I just mean the
performance level and form factor sans display.

If they could do that in a Mini or "double Mini" that would be awesome.

Of course, I'd also buy a little tower from them as well because I have no
doubt they could build a great one.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com