[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:24:44 CST 2012

On 3 Dec 2012, at 13:24, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, I didn't realize it was 'crap all over Lionel day' ;^)

It's hard to be too light-hearted when making a point... in a text medium...
at 7am : D

> You've convinced me, the fact that HP was able to place a Turion CPU in
small volume chassis with certain attributes (dual slots, 4 Hot-Swap bays,
internal
> PS) *proves* that Apple can certainly shove an i7 desktop with all the
usual
> desktop trimmings and accommodate a high-end discrete graphics card in a
> chassis of the same volume.

I've seen enough evidence combining the physical architecture of a HP
Microserver with what's available as far as mini i3/5/7 motherboards go and
such that a talented and innovative design team like Apple's could pull that
off.

In fact, Silverstone do a DTX case that's 8" (w) x 7.6" (h) x 13.8"(d) with a
600W PSU. The only reason it's that log is to accommodate industry standard
video cards that are that long. Apple could leverage manufacturer sway to have
short cards made fora short system.

> That was the original assertion you made, right?

Yessir. Probably with less hard drive bays (2x 3.5" or 3x 2.5" or 1x 2.5" + 2x
3.5" or some whacky combo) and but more Horsepower and room for a decent gfx
card ir a discrete onboard chip + VRAM. Also it'd be less tall as the
Microserver has a big vacuous hole at the top for an optical drive... and
Apple don't like them anymore, it seems.

I figure given the classic 8-inch Cube design they'd pull it off no sweat.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson