[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Dec 3 03:16:34 CST 2012

On 02-Dec-2012 22:45, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> At that level, their prices approach market price - at the smaller capacities
> a price of $2-3/GB seems to be the norm, from memory.

Also the new iMacs are using 2.5" drives. Just saw one torn down today.

Read through the teardowns: these machines took a big drop in repair and
upgrade scores from the previous generation.

I will say this though: the new Mac Pro has actually fallen in price for
its top-end.

When I got my Mac Pro, the maxxed out configuration was $32K. Now its
around $14K and you get more power and features.

The Pro is still an awesome machine, just I was hoping to get something
smaller and cheaper this time around.

A used Pro might be what I end up with, we'll see.

Right now I'm on hour 5 of restoring my Mac Pro after a day of
disheartening hard crashes where it passes all diagnostics, but still
refuses to run for more than 5 hours at a time.

I think the SMC controller might be deadsky, but I'm currently hoping it
was a corrupted OS Lion installation, or a bad external drive.

Removing a WD USB drive used for Time Machine stopped it crashing during
install. Seems silly for that to bring a machine down but then I've
always found USB to cause "oddities".

The first generation Mac Pros have various issues, and after a few more
paychecks I may get a newer used one anyway, still mulling over the options.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]