[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Dec 2 14:31:03 CST 2012

On 2 Dec 2012, at 14:30 , Mark Benson wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2012, at 17:24, Shannon wrote:
>
>> I love Apple's gear, but they really need a mid-line that isn't an iMac,
> their
>> style BS be damned.
>
> The thing is thought their stylistic intentions WOULDN'T be damned.

Yeah, have to agree there. I'm not even sure it would hurt them or kill the
Mac Pro either. There is room for something.

Another thing they need to do is get off the stupid super-thin design rut. I
don't WANT stuff to get thinner. Its already uncomfortably thin, and severely
limits capabilities and grossly increases maintenance issues.

The iMacs the reason I can't use one is they are incredibly difficult to work
on, and in their quest to make them excessively thin, they dropped features
which people in the real world still need.

> Same here. When you look at the CPU performance figures for a i7 Quad Core
> compared to my poorly old Xeon 51xx 2.0GHz 4-core rig it uses a lot less
power
> and turns out a lot more muscle.

Yep, I have an i7 920 based game system running 3.8GHz and its quite speedy by
comparison. It has an nVidia GTX 690 GPU and I'd love to run OSX on something
like it.

You mentioned a way of getting Mountain Lion on the old Mac Pro is that
something reasonable or too much trouble to be worth it?

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com