[geeks] Run 32-bit Linux on an 8-bit MCU

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Fri Apr 13 01:52:44 CDT 2012

Interesting idea. Pity about the 2 hour boot time.

From:
http://www.elektor.com/news/run-32-bit-linux-on-an-8-bit-mcu.2131446.lynkx

Run 32-bit Linux on an 8-bit MCU
Publication date: 10 April 2012

"Every once in a while something comes along that changes the way you
look at things. A project posted last week by Dmitry Grinberg was such
a thing for me. The project in itself is already pretty strange:
porting a 32-bit operating system (OS) to an 8-bit microcontroller
lacking most of the features needed to actually run the OS. Why would
you want to run Linux on an AVR? b
Because you canb
, would answer
George Obama (or was it Barack Mallory?) and now also Dmitry. Yes,
apparently you can (I didnbt try it myself), it only takes two hours
to boot Linux on the AVR, with an effective clock speed of a dazzling
6.5 kHz. It is fun as in academic demonstration."

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za