[geeks] "Cloud" craziness...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Apr 3 14:25:37 CDT 2012

On 4/3/2012 3:08 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 03:00:26PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> Given my experience with OpenVZ running Linux VMs, I would suggest you
>> look into using OpenVZ instead - actually, Proxmox.com's bundling of
>> OpenVZ along with a nice little Web GUI is pretty handy.  OpenVZ is
>> hands-down the most resource-friendly way to run a bunch of Linux VMs
>> (IMHO).
>
> FWIW, I couldn't get Ubuntu 11.10 working in a OpenVZ container on
> ProxMox.
>
> Also, how is OpenVZ more resource friendly than LXC?

It doesn't look like there is much difference between LXC and OpenVZ, in
that they both add a few calls into the Linux kernel in order to be able
to have a barrier between processes running in different VMs.  Whether
one is more lightweight than the other, I don't have the skills to
determine.

Did you use the Ubuntu containers from here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/template/precreated

They have always worked for me on Proxmox, though, you have to change
the filename and make sure they are in the directory that Proxmox
expects them to be in.

--Patrick