[geeks] OS testing, dragonfly

vintagecoder at aol.com vintagecoder at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 02:13:59 CDT 2011

> This is a Mac Pro so it does have the support. Other OS see multiple CPUs
> all the time. I suspect maybe the default kernel for DragonFly didn't
> have SMP support, or maybe it is incompatible with Fusion.

I don't know what's happening and it doesn't sound right, so I just
installed both the i386 and x86_64 CDs for 2.10.1 in VirtualBox to check.

>> There is a way to check via top whether the system is using more than one
>> cpu. I can't remember what the option is on BSD, on Linux you just type 1
>> (one) while top is running to toggle it. man top and you should find it
>> quickly.

> There is none in DragonFly, or it is disabled if the system did not
> detect two CPUs. Usually dmesg shows dual CPUs. Only one kernel, so
> either its incompatible with VMWare Fusion, or its disabled by default.

In top I see both CPUs active on both architectures in my newly installed
VMs.

> DragonFly uses modular kernels and I don't see any SMP modules. I also
> don't see many cpu tools like cpuctl in NetBSD, which can verify SMP
> operation among other things.

In /boot I have kernel and kernal.UP. .UP is the uniprocessor version. I
don't see a symlink but I do have an option to boot a normal kernel (in my
case SMP although called just "kernel") or a UP kernel in the Dfly boot
menu. Can you try to boot from the menu and select it?

> cpuid is there and only shows one CPU so I assume that means its just not
> there.

Sounds to me like maybe you installed the wrong kernel and I don't know how
to change it but it should be trivial.

> NetBSD is missing SMP support and a nice filesystem to set it all upon
> (like ZFS or Hammer). I could groan and moan and forget the filesystem
> but the lack of SMP sucks. Also its harder to configure than anything
> else and lacks the latest Xen.

I saw you wrote this before but I don't understand what you mean. NetBSD is
missing SMP support for what? Virtualization? I ran SMP kernels on Net
years ago, I don't understand what you are saying. We are talking Intel/AMD
x86_64 right?

> If I just had one more quiet server

:-)

| Vintage Coder America Online          ivagntrpbqre at nby.pbz <ROT13>     |
| Collecting: DOS assemblers, compilers, & books (Z80, M68K, 6502, 808X) |
| 	      Software & doc for IBM S/360 through OS/390                |
| Wants:      Ada 95 compilers for MVS/ESA & Solaris SPARC               |
|             PL/I X Optimizing Compiler for MVS, APL/SV for MVS         |
|             Stony Brook Modula-2 for Solaris SPARC                     |