[geeks] OS testing, dragonfly

vintagecoder at aol.com vintagecoder at aol.com
Sat Sep 10 14:33:06 CDT 2011

> SMP: There are no easy ways to verify SMP is working. From dmesg output
> it appears that dfly is not seeing both of my CPUs. I may have to build a
> kernel for that, not sure. AMD64 support is newer than the 32-bit stuff.

If you are running on a box that doesn't have the virtualization extensions
in some cases you may not get smp support even though you actually have
a multicore host.

There is a way to check via top whether the system is using more than one
cpu. I can't remember what the option is on BSD, on Linux you just type 1
(one) while top is running to toggle it. man top and you should find it
quickly.

I can't remember which is which because I used to run at least 3 BSDs on
various boxes but sometimes you have to rename the smp kernel as your kernel
and in other cases you can symlink it. Check your root directory and see if
you have a kernel and an smp kernel. If you have no symlinks then rename the
kernel and rename the smp kernel to what the kernel you booted with was and
reboot. If you have a symlink, relink it to the smp kernel.

Thanks for your writeup on Hammer. Lots of good info in there.