[geeks] the virtualization project

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Sep 9 06:33:24 CDT 2011

On 09/09/2011 12:17 AM, Shannon wrote:
> Also, I just rather not use Linux. Most of the distributions are very
> bloated, even for basic system administration utilities. Its not hard at
> all to innocently install a system utility and find it pulling in half
> of Gnome.

Then ...  don't use the bloated distributions.

(Someone pointed me at a new distribution yesterday, Bodhi Linux, that
he said "looks cool".  It's basically Enlightenment (god help us!)
runnning on top of Ubuntu (like Ubuntu wasn't bloated enough *already*).
 Well, hell, it'll probably compete well against Windows Vista ...  for
lack of performance, that is.)

Did you look at Gentoo?  Gentoo gives you the best package management of
any Linux - Portage is very much like *BSD ports, and clearly based on
it - and lets you choose exactly what gets installed including which
dependencies you want and which you want blacklisted.  For example,
*nothing* on my system is compiled with any Gnome or KDE support that
doesn't absolutely need to be there.  (Which is to say, glib and gtk+,
and damned little else.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.