[geeks] the virtualization project

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Sep 9 04:45:43 CDT 2011

>What is politically stupid? You can't add non-GPL code to the kernel.
>Really, this isn't a choice or fault of Linux.

Yes it's the fault of Linus. He decided that he wanted to use the GPL with
his terminal emulator that grew into an operating system. If that was good
or bad is debatable, and will be debated for many years to come.

>Also, not clear what bothers about Linux? Is it the GPL? If not that,
>then surely it is a case of simply finding the correct minimalist
>distro that packages software in a way that you prefer. Whilst it is
>true that one can't run ZFS on Linux, there are plenty of RAID and
>journalling filesystem choices and alternatives.

Support of RMS and his politics of hatred?

While I'm sure it was in the works for months, the timing of Oracle's
giving OpenOffice to the Apache people instead of the FSF just happened
to be when RMS was at his peak, and Larry Elison who has very public
opposite feelings may of used it to let his disapproval be known.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.