[geeks] rj-45 boots installed after connector?

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Sep 2 06:13:13 CDT 2011

I have some specialized cables that use RJ-45 connectors. They don't come with
protective boots on them, and I would like to add something to keep the
clips intact.

Normally I hate the boots and prefer cables with out them, but these
are different, you plug them in, run a program on the computer for a
few minutes and then unplug them. If they fall out during the operation
you coud end up with a very expensive brick.

The cables are not cheap and the wiring is not standard, so I can't cut
off the plugs when the clips break and re-do it. Maybe you can with the
right plugs, very good eyesight and a very steady hand, but I don't have
any of those.

The other end of the cable is a DB-9 plug with a specialized RS-232 to
TTL level convertor set in it, so I don't want to throw them out.

They are made in China, so there is no chance of my sending them back
for "re-clipping".

One thing I was thinking of is to split a boot longways and put it on
the cable. To hold it in place, I would wrap the cable end with tape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.