[geeks] Introductory programming language?

Vintage Coder vintagecoder at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 11:41:27 CDT 2011

I know what it was intended for. I also know structured programming is only appropriate in academia.  But apparently I'm part of a small minority.

It's all well and good all the COBOL bashing but there's a difference between coding as a professor and actually getting work done that people are willing to pay for. COBOL and SQL (and IMS DB) have made orders of magnitude more money and careers than any of Wirth's fantasies.