[geeks] Nice Printer?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon May 2 18:13:16 CDT 2011

On 5/2/2011 6:33 PM, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> I may just sink the cash into rebuilding what's broken with this 5M.  It
> seems the modern school of printer design is "Who cares about power draw
> or convenience, when we can sell a cheap disposable printer and make a
> mint on consumables?"  Foo.
>

> [0] Not printing when one of the colors is low seems a common theme;
>     ridiculous consumables prices is another.  Also those new
>     government-mandated forensics dots mean every page uses yellow toner.

True story:

HP makes a cartridge for inkjet printers called the 564XL.  The XL is
supposed to stand for "extra large ink tank".

Over the past year or so, they have actually re-designed the plastic
tank, and reduced its volume by about a third.

Then they re-designed the packaging and blared "twice as much ink* as
564 cartridge" with the * denoting words to the effect of "less total
ink volume than previous version of 564XL cartridge".

BTW, the new smaller cartridge didn't work in the HP "Premium PhotoSmart
C309A" printer my client had (the old ones worked fine); which is about
18 months old.

My client ended up with a Canon-made PIXMA which doesn't appear to have
***holes in their ink marketing division.

--P