[geeks] Nice Printer?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon May 2 17:33:20 CDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Nicolai wrote:

> The 4000 print quality should be higher than my 4L though - more crisp.
>
> "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

No, and that's what I've discovered by researching a replacement.

According to HP (I've not put an ammeter on the printer), the average draw
of this LaserJet 5M+ is 290W.  The 4000-series printers are all in the
mid-400W range; color doesn't seem to add much more in the way of power
draw or price (when second-hand), so I considered those as well.

What's really stunning is that the inrush current on at least one of the
later models (Color LaserJet 4500?) is 22A for 18ms.  Numbers like these
would make me want to run a separate circuit just for the printer.

Of course, there's always the low-end with raster-only printers that rely
on the host to do all the image processing, but most of those are hateful
for a number of reasons[0] involving print supplies.

I may just sink the cash into rebuilding what's broken with this 5M.  It
seems the modern school of printer design is "Who cares about power draw
or convenience, when we can sell a cheap disposable printer and make a
mint on consumables?"  Foo.

[0] Not printing when one of the colors is low seems a common theme;
     ridiculous consumables prices is another.  Also those new
     government-mandated forensics dots mean every page uses yellow toner.
--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu