[geeks] Heads up: HP Microservers

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Mar 7 16:02:58 CST 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:24:50 +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>  - The spare Hard Drive caddies and Optical bay come with their own
> screws neatly installed in the door ready to use, along with a Torx
> 15 tool for installing them and undoing the motherboard retaining
> screws.

That's a very nice feature, but it's a good job somebody mentioned it -
I'd easily have missed them without a mention. My glasses need a
refresh!

Finally completed moving all the services to FreeBSD. Biggest problem
with that was an editor mistake wiping out the zfs_enable="yes" in
rc.conf which caused a few moments of puzzlement.

> - It uses ECC RAM which is either preferred or required by ZFS. This,

I'm pretty sure it's preferred rather than required. How would ZFS know
anyway ? And my old OpenSolaris server definitely didn't have ECC
memory.

On the subject of which, as I've upgraded mine to 8Gb, does anyone in
the UK have one of these with the solitary standard 1Gb stick feeling
lonely ? If so I'll pop mine in the post ... otherwise it'll only get
dropped in my spare parts back room and get chucked when I forget what
it's for.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  sigmonster: core dumped