[geeks] Inexpensive source for NEMA TwistLocks

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Jun 21 17:03:45 CDT 2011

>> You should be able to get the 30A twist locks (NEMA L6-30R) for around
>> $10/each on ebay.  As far as 50A outlets, I'd suggest replacing the
>> plugs with 50A range plugs and outlets from your local home supply
>> store.
>
> The range plug suggestion is annoyingly logical. Curse you.

30A twist-locks in various configurations are readily available at Home Depot
and Lowe's, assuming one of those is near you. They're often used for portable
generators.

What's the NEMA code on these plugs?

Be careful on the 50A ones.  There are NEMA standards for 50A twist-lock
plugs, but it's often not used -- many use California Standard connections.

And then there's the question of whether that rack expects single-phase,
split-phase, or 3-phase power, and if split or 3-phase, whether it wants a
neutral in addition to two/three hot leads plus ground.

john