[geeks] Has anyone used power-line communications?

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Jul 30 13:51:06 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 02:33:26PM -0400, Nemo wrote:
>There are places about the house that could use connectivity and have
>power.  Experiences, recommendations, and warnings are welcome.  Thank
>you.

The work, but not well. Speed and error rate are limited by distance, noise
sources (big or sparky motors), topology ( connections on the same circuit
work best, same phase lesser, other phase little or not at all). Since almost
every home in the US and AFAIK Canada uses 240 volts two phase power
(split into two 120 volt "sides" at the main panel),
there is a 50% chance what you want to communicate to and from will be on the
wrong phase.

They are also (radio) noisy as heck and if you have a neighbor who is a
ham radio operator or shortwave listener, you will have an enemy for life.

There is a system that uses WiFi frequencies over the power line that does not
have these problems. It was made by Motorola and I think they stopped selling
them as internet over power lines (except within your home) is now illegal in
just about every country in the world.

IMHO WiFi if planed carefully is a much better choice.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.