[geeks] windows 2000 migration

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 28 20:04:50 CDT 2011

On 28-Jul-2011 19:21, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Applications? I don't think those 'transfer' between machines typically.
>
> Is this a Dell PC? You could probably upgrade with an OEM WinXP Pro disc then
> upgrade in place, but that would, IMHO, be a bad idea. Keeping 'kruft' from
> Win2K and skipping over XP and Vista to arrive at Win 7 would leave the system
> in a questionable state (think/fear).
>
> Better to just copy files over the NIC IMHO.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for a lot of things.

Some apps don't put all their data in files, so just copying the files
can either lose state or worse, they won't work at all. Its just an
unfortunate fact of Windows way of doing things. It sucks.

I've done that in a past and it was a real pain as I had to recreate the
meta information in some cases, and/or the user lost a lot of "little
things" like configuration and data not in the files that took them a
good while to put back in.

I might have to resort to that but that's gonna suck.

Outlook is one of the worst offenders. Hopefully going to convince her
to switch to applications like Thunderbird which, while not perfect, are
a lot easier to deal with.

Maybe I should have pushed harder to get her to switch to a Mac.