[geeks] Virtualization (was: server wanted)

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 14:37:39 CDT 2011

I'm going to give VirtualBox a blast and see what happens.

On 25 Jul 2011, at 20:01, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> Stick with 10.6?  I'm not planning an upgrade anytime soon.  10.7 has
>> nothing I want and deletes several features I need.

> Out of curiosity, what have they deleted?  I'm only aware of Rosetta,
> which isn't something I need (but may be something you do).

I'm using and enjoying 10.7, while it's not a giant leap it also only costs 30
bucks :P

Fullscreen apps are something, for example, I thought I'd never use yet I find
myself using Safari, Mail and Chrome fullscreen all the time now. Having
fullscreen apps and a windowed desktop integrated on one monitor reminds me
very much of the Amiga Workbench. Having some windows that are always open (as
all three of those are) farmed off tho their own screen gives them more room
and me less clutter on my working desktops. My only gripe is they don't spawn
a numbered Spaces screen, so I can Ctrl-n jump to the apps, I have to use the
Dock or Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right. Spaces isn't as intuitive as it used to be,
admittedly, the grid is gone and everything is left or right, which get
irritating when you have 6 screens of stuff (like I do) but the sacrifice has
actually made it something I've gone from ignoring because it didn't help much
to something I use all the time.

I long since ditched anything that wasn't UB, but I'm a home/hobbyist user and
I appreciate that might be inconvenient for some.

I like the new Mail.app which I thought I'd hate. If you full-screen it and
futz with the column widths it suddenly opens up into a really useful app. I
hated it for the first half-hour but now I actually prefer it. My only bugbear
is the Message composer window takes over the whole screen and means you can't
access the other mail in the app. Not a major issue for me but if you wanted
to Copy/Paste from multiple mail messages it'd get angry-making. really quick
I suspect, resulting in you opening, saving, opening, saving, etc. to a draft
multiple times.

Launchpad is a waste of time and GPU power. Not used it yet. It's Faster to do
a Cmd-Space and user Spotlight :)

Incidentally if anyone needs any help with doing a clean install of 10.7 or
burning a restore DVD I've done both, it's not hard.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>