[geeks] Virtualization (was: server wanted)

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Sun Jul 24 04:44:22 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 05:53:00PM +0100, Mark Benson wrote:
> I have KVM installed at the moment but one of the things that, in both cases,
> has confused me is how to allow incoming traffic to each VM. One will likely
> be a dedicated MySQL server, and another an instance of VAX/VMS running on
> simh so I really need inbound traffic.

If you configure bridging, inbound traffic will Just Work, at least if
you use libvirt to manage your VMs (which I think is the default with
Ubuntu too). Shout if you don't come right and I can send you my network
setup (Debian, but it'll be pretty similar). A lot of the HOWTOs and
documentation online are outdated or just plain wrong, so be careful...

> It's either work out how to do it on the HP or find a better solution for Mac
> OS X 10.7 as Parallels keep screwing everyone when Apple release as new OS
> version. You *have* to buy Parallels 6.0 to run it on OS X 10.7. The HP and
> the Mac Pro are the two machines I can use that have hardware VT support.

I've heard mixed reports about VMware Fusion - some say it works fine,
others don't. Going to wait a while before upgrading my MBP to Lion, as
I can't affort for Fusion not to be working on it.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner
 mj at mjturner.net      <>     http://mjturner.net/