[geeks] tablets?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Jul 21 08:08:57 CDT 2011

On Thursday, July 21, 2011, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Quoth J. Alexander Jacocks, inter alia ...
>
> > The Barnes & Noble Nook Color is an excellent cheap
> > Android tablet, with a bit of hacking.
>
> Evidently, one can boot the NooCo from an SD card.  A chap here in
> the Seattle area sells the card for US$40, and I'm sure it's
> something one could do for one's self.  You boot the tablet into
> Android from the card, and run it from the card, meaning you don't
> have to change anything in the NooCo's firmware, etc.  Boot it
> without the card, and it's a standard Nook Color.
>
> I don't have one, never seen it done, etc., but I'm pretty sure
> that's how it works.

It's even easier - just find a Micro SD card, download the boot image
(CM7 is popular and works well), and dd it to the card.  I opted to
reflash the internal flash in the Nook, so I could pop in other Micro SD
cards (I originally bought it to use as a portable display to preview
shots from my DSLR, but it's more useful for other things).  The
processor isn't as fast as some other tablets, but it has plenty of
memory, and is plenty fast enough for most things.

Plus, if you want to use it as a Nook still after flashing it, just
download the Nook app from the Android store.  Personally, I'd rather
have something with ePaper to use as an e-reader, the NC is way more
useful to me as a tablet.

--
Patrick Finnegan