[geeks] server wanted

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 18 09:19:46 CDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 10:12 , Mark Benson wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2011, at 14:11, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>> As part of changes in my server equipment at home, I could use another
>> quiet server like my Dell T105.
>>
>> I have very little money for this so if anyone knows where I could get a
>> machine like it or very close dirt cheap I'd appreciate it.
>>
>> Must support virtualization in hardware for Xen, but it doesn't need to
>> be very powerful otherwise. Something I could at least upgrade to
>> quad-core and 8GB of RAM eventually would be nice.
>
> I'm guessing HP Microservers don't have the minerals for doing
virtualisation
> in hardware? I don't know the AND side but I'm guessing you mean something
> like Intel VT-x ? Most Core2 stuff does VT-x afaik.

They might, but I was thinking they'd be $300 or more to get running.

I am really strapped for cash atm so anything much over $100 is difficult
given I might need another $100 to get minimal config going.

I know that's a really low budget, and in a few months I likely won't even
blink at a new server purchase... but the need has come up before the increase
in funding :)

I will probably steal hard drives from my Mac Pro since it is going to be
taken off virtualization duty once the new server is in place.

Previous job required me to have a half dozen VMs running and I was doing it
all on my Mac Pro.

I have even (shudder) considered selling the Mac Pro and getting a little Mac
Mini... but murphy's law says something ugly will immediately happen and I'll
need the Pro's power again.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com