[geeks] Mac definitions

Nate Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 08:58:29 CDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Nothing new though: a lot of cars have traction control but its just
> disabled if you didn't buy the option.
>
> My Mazda 3 was ordered without it, but all the parts are actually
> present if I could talk them into installing the computer module and the
> wiring.
>
> Its probably just cheaper for Mazda to use a single braking system and
> just skip the computer module and testing if the option was not ordered.

Car makers (fortunately) won't have that choice much longer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control#Regulation

"The United States was next, requiring ESC for all passenger vehicles under
10,000 pounds (4536 kg), phasing in the regulation starting with 55% of 2009
models (effective 1 September 2008), 75% of 2010 models, 95% of 2011 models,
and all 2012 models."

My 2011 Suzuki SX4 Crossover came with electronic stability and traction
control.  By default it is on, though I can manually disable it by holding
down a button to the left of the handbrake for 30 seconds.  Likewise, I can
set the mode of the all wheel drive electronically with a rocker switch to
the right of the handbrake, setting it to front wheel drive only,
intelligent all wheel drive (default center rocker switch setting), and by
holding it down in the back switch setting while the car is stopped I can
set it to full all-wheel drive (useful when in mud, sand, deep snow, etc.)
The full all wheel drive will auto-deactivate when going over 30mph.  I
definitely appreciate having these controls - though I can't think of too
many scenarios where I'd want to disable the electronic stability/traction
controls.

- Nate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control#cite_note-autogenerated1-17>