[geeks] Mac definitions

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 15 23:48:45 CDT 2011

On 15-Jul-2011 21:38, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> In plain terms?  With the 55 limit, it was taking so damn long to drive
> from one city to the next that drivers were falling asleep at the wheel
> and running off the road.

Another factor is the design of US highways being so straight. Its been
shown that putting in curves reduces accidents from fatigue. I believe
in Germany curves every so often are mandated by law because of this.

>>> Pumping your brakes doesn't make them perform as well as a modern
>>> braking system.
>
> False.  A skilled driver can limit-brake, on dry, wet or even icy
> surfaces, better than a modern ABS system can.

A skilled driver could years ago, but I don't believe that is true now,
and until ABS was banned in 1993, even F1 used it.

> Not MUCH better, but
> better.  You'll observe there's no ABS on Formula 1 cars.

The F1 ABS systems were banned by the racing league in 1993, that is the
only reason you do not see them.

They were banned because braking is considered a primary driver skill
and ABS removed that skill from competition and was damaging to the sport.

Other racing leagues where its not banned still use it.

> ABS does not improve the maximum performance of brakes.

If you think of braking systems in isolation, of course not. They have a
fixed and finite braking ability based on the brakes, the pads, the
pressure, the tires, etc.

I figured it was a given we were talking about overall performance which
includes things like bad equipment, drivers, and situations.

> Sorry, this is complete rubbish.  If your brake system isn't working
> properly, whether due to mechanical failure or poor design, pumping the
> brakes isn't going to magically make them work better.

I don't believe it is.

Any inferior brake system I have used required more driver technique
like pumping brakes, steering input, etc.

I've driven vehicles where either the brakes just sucked (or were just
older, inferior designs) and braking was uneven even on dry pavement and
I could fix that by pumping the brakes.

And just for a historical note:

ABS was originally created for aircraft some years before WWII, and part
of the reason was issues with brake design and uneven brake performance
on aircraft.